The Stressful Husband: ramblings of a husband and father

I need to talk...I'm a stressful husband.

Name:

I believe in a just world. I didn't it should be fair cause nothing is fair anyway in the first place, rather I want a system of justice to be in place, equality among people and a sense of belonging for all citizens of Malaysia. If not for myself, may it be for my children or those that come after me. I believe we can make a change. It happened before and it will happen again and again and again as long as we chose to stand for what it just. This blog is my effort for change. I use to run themalaysianbillboard.com but due to some problems (my own) I had to shut it down. I accept comments but remember we comment within a sphere of responsibility. Cheers!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Keeping the peace, keeping mum.

At times it is best to just keep quiet. Take the time when my mother was complaining that my son was too naughty. The little fella is coming 2 years and the fearless streak is appearing. He climbs, runs and bear-hugs the cat. Nothing wrong with that, he is (after all) a boy.

But my mother thinks I don't enforce enough discipline on him. It's funny because when I do become strict with him, my mother will be the first to point out that my son is still a little boy, don't know anything, bla,bla,etc,etc. So when she does go into one of those moods, I keep quiet. Now, you must understand. In an Asian context, we are not suppose to speak up against anything our parents say. It's considered rude and sinful to do so. What parents say becomes law and it is a law that you do not want to break.

So me being quiet is a normal practice among most elder sons. You bear with it and allow it to go over your head. But sometimes the words spoken do hit a raw nerve. Sometimes they do cause a measure of hurt and frustration. Often times, I wish I was not living under the same roof.

I do not mind if the words are spoken against me but when they include another person that is dear to me, I get all work up. Statements about my son hurt me most. For he is unable to defend himself let alone to talk back. But I don't want to talk back to my mum so it's all a funny circle of silence with the only person speaking - my mum.

Sometimes keeping the peace means that your life is total at war.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better be careful, all this non talking business may result in years of counselling and therapy in the years to come, where you actually have to pay to talk. Talk now while it's free.

'It's good to talk' BT

8:28 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

*Hugs* I know how it feels to have to keep quiet while parents babel away. I guess, one will kinda get used to it as one grow up neh.

anyway, i enjoyed the post on your sons. they sound very cute. XD

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home